Thursday, March 5, 2009

Siesta Scripture for March 1

“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”- Deuteronomy 6: 6-7 (NIV)

Okay - I'm jumping in late as usual, but better late than never - especially when it comes to doing something that will undoubtedly be good for me. I'm going to try to memorize scripture with Beth Moore and her Siesta's. If you wonder what the heck I'm talking about you can check out her blog on the link posted on my page. Basically we are to pick a new scripture on the 1st & 15th of each month - post it on her board and then work on memorizing or at least familiarizing ourselves with it for the next couple of weeks. I used to be good at memorizing when I was younger, but I have to admit it's gotten to be a bit more challenging as I've gotten older and takes a bit more work.

I have always liked this verse when I ran across it, but have also found myself challenged by it. It is sobering to think that while I like what it tells me to do - I am not good at putting it into practice. I THINK about God's commandments a lot, but when it comes to taking those thoughts and getting them past my lips I haven't done so well. I want to be able to talk about God's word with anyone, but especially with those I love the most. It should not be hard for me, but it is. So here is one step towards giving up that bastion of fear in my life and stepping out and opening up my mouth - and hopefully, letting God worry about the consequences.
Post a Comment