Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dear God, "Ouch."

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." Romans 8:26

I don't know about you, but there are often times when I just don't know what to say to God. Times when all of the "junk" of life just seems to bombard me at the same time. Some of the junk is big and some is small. Some of it involves pain and suffering I see in loved ones around me. And some of it I face myself. Any one of these could probably be kept in proper perspective and dealt with accordingly - if they happened one at a time. But I've noticed that Life's challenges rarely line up that nicely. No, instead they come in waves - and not just small waves - tsunami size waves of full of pain, suffering, regret, deceit, broken-hearts, broken spirits. 

It is immensely over-whelming and all I can do is to cry out. Lately when these waves have hit the only word I could think of was "Ouch." Because it hurt so much. Romans 8:26 gives me reassurance that my "Ouch" is more than enough. God knows how much hurt and grief are packed into that small inadequate word. All the myriad of details and history and misunderstanding and longing. God gets it. Which is good because I don't. And then I can rely on God's promise in Corinthians 4:8-9,  " We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." 

Which reminds me of the song "Trading My Sorrows" by Delirious. Here are the words - hopefully they can bless you as they have often blessed me when Life's Tsunami waves hit.

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord
 

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

We say yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord
yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord
yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord, amen
 

I am pressed but not crushed
persecuted, but not abandoned
struck down, but not destroyed

I am blessed beyond the curse,
for His promise will endure
and His joy will be my strength
 

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning.

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

We say yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord
yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord
yes Lord, yes Lord, yes, yes Lord, amen (2x)

I am pressed but not crushed
persecuted, but not abandoned
struck down, but not destroyed

I am blessed beyond the curse,
for His promise will endure
and His joy is going to be my strength

Though the sorrow may last for the night
His joy comes with the morning.

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord (2x)

Post a Comment