Thursday, March 10, 2011

No - I am not cheating - at least not on purpose.......

Soooo, I "gave up" Facebook for Lent a whole 27 hours ago - not that I'm keeping track or anything. And it's been a learning experience already. I know that I spend a lot of my time on Facebook. If not actively engaged in it, at least having a window open in the background so that I could see what was happening with folks and pages that I like to follow. **sigh** I also manage my church's Facebook and Twitter accounts - and they are doing a Lenten study which requires that I post regular questions and quotes for them. So, I had to be specific about avoiding my personal Facebook - and not the church's page. BTW - you can visit that page here: http://www.facebook.com/FUMCCheyenneWY.  So far my method is to quickly post what I need through the church's account and then get off. Anyway, it's just not the same, because as cool as I think my church is - their presence on Facebook is vastly different than mine.

What I did not think of when I made the decision to abstain from my personal Facebook account was just how much of what I do is linked to Facebook. I like to use Foursquare on my Droid (that's my Droid HTC Increbible Smartphone to be precise.) Want to learn more - check out this link: http://foursquare.com/. It let's you "check-in" to different businesses and venues around town and share it with friends who also use Foursquare - AND it let's you share those check-ins with your Facebook and Twitter accounts.  Kinda like ultimate social networking multi-tasking with one click. So, is it cheating if I still check-in on Foursquare and it posts to my Facebook account?  I really, really want the answer to be "no."

Another thing that I use that automatically posts to my Facebook and Twitter accounts is THIS BLOG!! Now this gives me an even bigger quandary because one of my additional goals during Lent was to work on blogging more regularly. So, am I subconsciously undermining one goal by replacing it with another? Why does this have to be so hard?

I really hope that God understands what I am trying to do - even if maybe I don't. And I'm going to try to be more patient with myself - after all, I'm really just getting started with this.  The bright side is I only have 38 days and 21 hours to go!!

Pray for me.
Post a Comment