Saturday, December 21, 2013

#38 - 46 Random Posts to Celebrate 46 Years of Living


I was talking with a co-worker yesterday about holiday traditions that we miss because they just aren't an option anymore.  Looking through a Sears or JCPenney Christmas catalog was something that we both immediately thought of. My mom knew she could keep us distracted for hours whenever it came in. It was so much fun to browse each page of the toy section carefully. I never paid attention to what anything cost. Now that is almost the first thing I look at and if it is not in my price range will not even look at the picture closely or the description. Part of the joy and innocence of youth was simply dreaming my way through the catalog pages without  any worry about what it would take to make those dreams come true.


Later that night my step-daughter brought up the topic of how some Christmas traditions change. Must have been something in the air. It was a neat conversation. She enjoyed telling me things that her family has done over the years. I got to share what my family used to do when I was young and also some of the traditions I have had with my own kids. Both of us have experienced change over the years for various reasons. Some changes were good. Because she is a child of divorce she can relate to how some of life's changes force us to give up traditions we love. Hopefully she is starting to see that new traditions can be created and established. One thing is certain though....change is constant. I wish I knew a magic formula for teaching all my kids how to remember fondly old traditions that no longer exist, but still be open to new ones that may present themselves. For that matter this is a lesson I am still learning myself. One thing I am certain of is that I am very grateful I have such wonderful family - old and new to learn it with.

Post a Comment