Friday, December 20, 2013

#39 - 46 Random Posts to Celebrate 46 Years of Living

I missed getting a post out yesterday. Darn it. This is one part that I dreaded when I decided to do this project. I got very ambitious at first and actually wrote and scheduled several posts ahead of time. And then, as usual, life caught up with me.


Many times in the past I would let something like this be an excuse to just give up altogether. And, this morning I was very tempted to do just that - again. But, thankfully, I am still learning at almost 46-years-of-age. Practicing discipline is not always easy - but it is worth it. A bigger part of the picture for me is also practicing the art of showing myself grace. It is always easier to forgive others - me, not so much. I have all the phrases ready at a moments notice in my head to beat myself up. "You should have known better than to even start." "You should have stayed on top of things and not gotten behind." "This is just one of tens of thousands of little meaningless blogs that no one reads." "It's not like this is anything really important - it's not like you are getting paid for it." And on and on and on. Silencing the negative rant in my head is not always easy. It takes a conscious intentional effort to bring forward the forgiving and encouraging phrases - but I am getting better at it!! Phrases like - "You only missed one post. You can do this. Sit down and write something, ANYTHING, and hit the publish button." "This project is not about one single post. It is about a bigger process and learning to do something better." "Mistakes will happen. You can learn from it and move on." "You can do this, Girl!" "Don't give up - you will be glad you stuck it out!"

I no longer want to let perfectionism keep me immobilized. So, instead of kicking myself I am sitting down and writing this blessed post which will no doubt have several errors in it when I do back and re-read it. And then I am hitting the publish button. And then I am finishing my coffee, getting dressed and getting on with the rest of my day.

Post a Comment